Iranian opposition leaders denied visits from children
30 Mar 2011
Iranian authorities have repeatedly refused to allow the children of Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Zahra Rahnavard to visit their parents, Kaleme website reports.
The Iranian opposition leaders have been under house arrest since they rallied people to demonstrate in solidarity with the recent Arab uprisings on February 14.
Yesterday, Kaleme website, an opposition website with close connections to Mousavi, reported that despite several attempts, the children of Mousavi and Rahnavard have been denied visits to their parents. The one exception occurred three weeks ago, according to a letter from the Mousavi daughters. They wrote that they met with their parents in a building close to their parents’ home and surrounded by security forces.
Kaleme reports that on March 21, the first day of the Iranian New Year, Mousavi and Rahnavard were allowed a very brief telephone call to their children, but have been denied contact since then.
Mehdi Karroubi and his wife are also under house arrest at their home. They too are cut off from all contact with the outside world.
The house arrest of the opposition leaders has been condemned by the opposition and several senior members of the clergy in Iran.
Most recently EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton called for the release of the opposition leaders, saying the official justification for their detainment is “unconvincing.”
Iranian authorities have apparently told EU officials the opposition leaders are being held for their own protection. Ashton said that does not explain why they are prevented from communicating with the outside world.
The opposition says the two couples are being held in a blatant violation of their rights, as they have not been charged with any crime or sentenced by the judiciary.
source: Radio Zamaneh
کلیدواژه ها: Iranian opposition, Karroubi, Mousavi | Print | نشر مطلب